The History of Almont Resort
Almont was first known as Fisher, after founder Samuel C. Fisher, Almont started as a small way-station in 1879, where the Taylor and East Rivers met to form the Gunnison River. Fisher first arrived in the Gunnison Area and was hired as a freighter, transporting supplies from Gunnison to the Doctor Park Mine on Spring Creek. While traveling with his first load of supplies, he came to a not so safe toll-bridge, that cost $2 a team to cross the East River. Fisher saw how building his own toll-bridge could become a profitable venture in the current mining boom of the area. On his return trip from the Doctor Park Mine, he brought a load of cut lumber so to build a cabin where he and his wife, Carrie Fisher, planed to homestead.
In October of 1881, the D&RG Railroad arrived in Fisher and wanted to name the depot and post office. Fisher suggested the name of Almont, which was the name of a famous horse that was known all over the world as the leading Hambletonian Stallion of the century, of which his horse was an direct descendent of. Soon after, Almont gained a U. S. Post Office (now one of our cabins), and boasted a railroad depot which served as a gathering place for the miners in the region. In 1893, Vernon Davis purchased the property and turned it in to a summer resort. In 1899, Davis built a spacious mansion made of the native rock and called it the Marston Hotel. The resort became known for its excellent fishing and hunting.
The property and local area abound with history from the old mining and narrow gauge railroad days to the last of the great fish fries. In 1940, presidential nominee Wendell Wilkie, along with 10,000 guests, visited the Almont fish fry to kick off his campaign. In 1948 the Marston Hotel burned down on New Year's Eve and was rebuilt. Much of that structure is what makes up the Almont Resort today.